Saturday, February 23, 2019

Wagon Crafter

I've always taken my son on neighborhood walks, ever since he was a tiny baby in a pouch on my chest. Something about being outside always seemed to calm him, even when he was screaming his head off. But at some point, your baby gets too big for the pouch.

And even though he can walk, his "stay out of the road" instincts aren't that great. He's not quite tall enough to comfortably hold my hand, and I got a little leash, but soon discovered that he could still throw a tantrum on the sidewalk in full view of neighbors if I didn't let him go where he wanted: in front of cars.

So, next best thing. Foldable red wagon, with extendable handle, two cup holders, and three storage straps, plus the ability to zip down into a bench. The cremé de la cremé of red wagons. It came, I saw, I fucking conquered.

Basically, I got bored one day, so I ripped that big box open and pulled out instructions, parts, and the wagon itself. Then I went in search of tools. Hammer, wrench, and Phillips screwdriver all laid out, I glanced every once in awhile at the pictures in the instruction booklet, and got to work. 45 minutes later, et voila! A wagon that makes me speak French.

I don't know about anyone else around here, but there is something extremely satisfying in doing something with your hands and making a workable object that will serve a purpose in your life.

A few days later, and our first neighborhood wagon walk began. We pointed out trucks, cars and colors. I pointed out plants and garden decorations. I also was attacked by the traitorous wagon; it hit the back of my shoe. I went down to the sidewalk on my knee and forearm. My leggings ripped, my knee bled, but as long as I am not seriously injured, I tend to play things like that off in front of my son. No big deal. Mommy fell, Mommy got back up.

The next day - bigger deal. My knee hurt; my arm was very sore; and today, my upper back was sore as well. Nothing a little Advil plus Tylenol can't take care of. In any case, my son loved the ride. I loved the exercise. The sidewalk loved me. Good times were had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There I Was

Having a panic attack and a depressive episode rolled into one bad trip I had no intention of taking in the first place. My depression has n...